When trying to build the Android Hello World tutorial in Eclipse I ran into an issue where the application would just crash when I tried to run it:
[2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] ------------------------------ [2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] Android Launch! [2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] adb is running normally. [2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] Performing com.example.helloandroid.HelloAndroid activity launch [2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] Automatic Target Mode: launching new emulator with compatible AVD 'myAVD' [2010-05-04 01:53:46 - HelloAndroid] Launching a new emulator with Virtual Device 'myAVD' [2010-05-04 01:53:58 - HelloAndroid] New emulator found: emulator-5554 [2010-05-04 01:53:58 - HelloAndroid] Waiting for HOME ('android.process.acore') to be launched... [2010-05-04 01:53:59 - Emulator] 2010-05-04 01:53:59.501 emulator[10398:903] Warning once: This application, or a library it uses, is using NSQuickDrawView, which has been deprecated. Apps should cease use of QuickDraw and move to Quartz. [2010-05-04 01:54:23 - HelloAndroid] emulator-5554 disconnected! Cancelling 'com.example.helloandroid.HelloAndroid activity launch'!
The crash report was identifying the problem as a segfault:
Process: emulator  Path: /Applications/android-sdk-mac_86/tools/emulator Identifier: emulator Version: ??? (???) Code Type: X86 (Native) Parent Process: eclipse  Date/Time: 2010-05-04 02:25:41.153 -0500 OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.3 (10D573) Report Version: 6 Interval Since Last Report: 2558914 sec Crashes Since Last Report: 4 Per-App Crashes Since Last Report: 2 Anonymous UUID: C5F178C1-5290-4CA9-AD6E-E9C4F5582754 Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV) Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x000000001fd2f000 Crashed Thread: 3
As best I could tell a snapshot of my AVD was saved while the previous version of HelloAndroid was running. And so when I went to run the new version of HelloAndroid (after making some code changes) the new package was copied over and then the emulator was restored. At this point it was in a corrupt state where the old version was still in memory but the new version existed in local storage. This may or may not be exactly what was happening, but it appeared to be what was causing the app to crash.
For me, I simply turned snapshots off on my AVD. To do that in Eclipse you can just follow this menu/button options:
Window -> AVD Manager -> [select your avd] -> Click Edit -> Uncheck “Enabled” next to Snapshots
If this doesn’t work you can also delete the AVD and create a new one with the same settings but with snapshots disabled.
If you’re still running into trouble, check out this thread over at StackOverflow. It didn’t solve my problems, but your mileage may vary.